December 7, 2008

Stephenson's Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing is a Stephenson favorite past time. The first time that Spencer and I went Snowshoeing was in High School, pre-Stephenson establishment. We went up past the Alta Ski resort with Mark, John, Tyler, I think Scotty and some other "Draper Boys". Most (if not all) of my time was spent hiking and talking with Spence. I didn't know it, but Spence had a little crush on me, and all his friends were watching to see if he was going to "try something." He didn't. (although he told me he spent most of the afternoon trying to work up the courage) It is one of my fondest memories of the "early" days with my husband. We laugh when we talk about it now.

After we got married we bought an incredibly "tough" tent and had to try it out in the dead of winter. Spence, Russ (Spence's younger brother) and I, snowshoed with packs up Bell's Canyon where we spent the night and enjoyed the best dehydrated dinner we have ever had. It was a lasagna meal from REI. We still talk about how good it was. I slept between Spence and Russ so that I would stay warm and had the worst night's sleep I have ever had. We have a two man tent, not a "two man, one small woman and a ton of winter gear" tent. Needless to say, I was a little squished, but very warm. When we woke up the next morning we were toasty warm, in spite of the layer of ice that had formed on our sleeping bags and on the inside of the tent. This is one of the fondest memories I have of the married days with my husband.


The winter season is upon us once again, and we are looking forward to spending time in the mountains.
We even have a pack to carry Madelyn (Thanks mom) and she has a pink little snow suit that makes her look like a baby pink "Stay Puff Marshmallow Man." Though we don't know if snowshoeing is really a great activity for a 5 month old, we might just try it once she can sit up in her child carrier. Until then we will be relying on the charitable service of Grandma and Grandpa to spend some one on one time with little Madelyn while mom and dad spend some one and one time with the mountains.

And speaking of snowshoeing, Didn't JC and Katrina go snowshoeing together on their first date? I know JC proposed to Katrina one night when they were out snowshoeing, and I know that Mallery was impressed with Greg Carling because he took her snowshoeing for one of their first dates. That has to be a good sign, right?

So here's to you winter. We're ready for ya. Thanks for all the fond memories.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Hooray for snow!! What a happy post! I love winter. Madelyn looks so cute in her coat.

Brenna said...

I love it that you guys have those memories all the way from high school! I'm hoping to try snow shoeing this winter, but I don't think we'll ever have the kind of snow shoeing history you guys have! Happy times!

Brandon and Tenille said...

That sounds like so much fun and I am sure quit the workout. I love the story of you guys going up there when you were in high school. Isnt it funny how things have changed....

Katie said...

Yeah and I remember you guys invited me once to go snowshoeing and I said I think I'd rather die than do that. I'm glad Spencer found a girl who will enjoy doing that kind of stuff with him. :)

Jessica said...

She looks so cute in her little snow suit! I hope Addie will like the snow.

BAWC said...

we love snow shoeing too! i have been contemplating going, but i think that my shoes wouldn't hold me right now ;(

Becky said...

I'll agree with Natalie - what a happy post! I love winter too and would love to sit next to my fire curled up in a blanket with a hot cup of cocoa, "Good Night Moon" and Maddie while you and Spence freeze your bods. To each his own!

Love, Mom

Linds said...

hello? Update your dang blog with my correct address! lindsjeffgardner.blogspot.com

Teacher Mama said...

I'm going camping next week with my little Logan. We'll see how that goes. I hope I can keep him warm... and me warm.

ty and megs said...

ty and i went snowshoeing on our first unofficial date too! must be the sign of a good couple, right!?

Katrina said...

Yes, it's true! It was our first date and we were also snowshoeing when JC proposed. Good memory! I'm sure that night in the tent was so miserable! At least you were warm and miserable though:) It sounds like you had a fun time for the rest of it!