February 4, 2009

Loving Motherhood...

...and it just got better.


This past week of taking care of Madelyn has been better than ever. I am in love with the little angel.

For those of you who are just having your first baby, you may think that it is fun at the beginning, but just wait. Friends told me that motherhood would get easier and more fun as Madelyn got older; turns out they were right.

The most recent development is that Madelyn is now sleeping for 12 hours at night. At least she has for the last 5 nights. Hopefully we can keep this up.

As Madelyn moved into her 4th month she started sleeping 7 hour stretches by herself. That didn't last long because soon after that, she developed a cold, then another, then the holidays came, and then another cold. Obviously she wasn't sleeping through the night and when the colds were gone she would still wake up every two or three hours wanting be nursed back to sleep. I avoided letting her "cry it out" because I kept thinking that she would start to sleep on her own. The whole sleeping thing became an incredible stress in my life. As you can understand, I was tired.

After much encouragement from multiple people (thank you to everyone who listened to my sleep stories over and over), we finally let her "cry it out". I was determined to at least see if letting Madelyn cry would work. About a week ago we put Madelyn to bed, she fell right asleep and woke up crying two hours later. We didn't go get her. Listening to her cry was hard. She cried for an hour and fifteen minutes before she fell asleep. I was sure she would wake up in two hours and give us another hour long cry. I was dreading listening to her crying for the rest of the night, but I was shocked when I woke up the next morning and found she had slept until morning. A similar scenario happened for the next two nights with a little less crying each night. On the fourth night, she went to bed and didn't make a peep for 12 hours. Wahoo!! As I said, she has slept for 12 hours through the night for the past 5 nights and her mommy and daddy are elated.

This past week has been fabulous. Madelyn has been happier while she is awake. Her personality has become more cheerful and dynamic, and when it is time for her nap she goes down without crying (for the most part). She sat on my lap through most of sacrament this past week. Normally we had to walk around with her because she was squirmy 15 minutes into sacrament. It has just been a ton of fun to take care of her this week!
Here is a picture of the little angel sleeping.

16 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats Melynn..it is amazing how much a little extra sleep helps everyone! That is a big accomplishment.

BAWC said...

hooray for you! it is so nice to get sleep (for everyone). we did the same with our little man and it was heartbreaking at first, but it works. you are right, motherhood is awesome!

Brenna said...

12 hours!? What a dream! I hope she keeps it up!

Shannon said...

What a little dream she is. I'm glad to hear it just keeps getting better. I bet you are a wonderful mommy. Hope all is well! And thanks for saying hi.

Brenna said...

That is really great news. Babies that sleep all night definitely have happier mommies!

krista said...

oh she is so sweet! it really is amazing how much more enjoyable life is when you are getting your sleep!

Jessica said...

That is the one thing that my kids are awesome at. Sleeping and naps have never been a struggle in my house. It's the craziness that goes on when they are awake that exhausts me! Glad that she is sleeping for you though.

Linds said...

yaaaaaay Madelyn!!! Oh, I am so happy for you and I totally know the love that seems to grow when they sleep better! haha (okay, I guess I should state for the record that I love my kids no matter what, but....you get me.)

Becky said...

I'm proud of you and Spencer for giving it a try. I know it's just not in either of your natures to let anyone cry for even a moment (a good thing). Maddi figured that out :). But it didn't take her long to figure out that the two of you 'talked' and the plan changed. She's a quick learner. Amazing how smart a bitty kiddlet is, isn't it. And I join Maddi in liking your new plan - good goin'.

Love, Mom

Shiara said...

I am so happy for you!! It took Owen almost 8 months to get the whole sleeping through the night thing down. He doesn't quite go for an entire 12 hour stretch, but we are getting there!

I will never forget how refreshing it is to get a full nights sleep after over 12 months (including pregnancy) without an 8 hour stretch of sleep!

I'm also happy that you have found your happy baby! I know Owen is so much happier when he sleeps well, also! I'm glad to see that things are getting so much greater every day. I feel the same way!

amb said...

That is super exciting. She is getting so big! But she is soooo adorable!

kate said...

no better gift you can give your baby than letting them learn to be good sleepers! good for you! what a sweetie she is. so glad you're loving momliness.

Bee-utiful said...

Ohh...she's so precious! I love reading about your experiences, sorry bout the no sleep, but it helps me realize what I have to look forward to and that I won't be alone when it happens. :)

ty and megs said...

it's amazing how sweet they become as soon as they fall asleep, isn't it!? :) glad life is so much sweeter now!!

Mary said...

OH man you really are so lucky! Like I said before though I think you are just being compensated for when she was first born and wouldn't sleep through the night at all! Ha. Well 12 hours certainly makes up the difference:)

Katrina said...

congratulations Melynn! Your story looks like the kind that would fit in perfectly in "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," you know? I'm so glad you're all getting more sleep and that she's able to be more cheerful. I know it's a hard process, but I'm glad it was worth it!