July 23, 2009

Heres To Our Forefathers

Last night I finished 1776, a book written by David McCullough (one of our favorite authors). Was it good? Incredibly good! The book covers the revolutionary war as it happened in 1776.


When I read the last pages of the book, I had chills and I was grateful and was filled with a desire to be way better than I am.

The conditions that the American army lived through in that first year were extreme. If someone had detailed those same conditions to me I would have thought that a person couldn't physically survive, let alone have the energy to fight. Alot of them didn't survive.

When people say, "It was nothing short of the grace of God" that allowed the Americans to survive the massive English army that first year, I believe it. And I think it was also the American's belief that their cause was just that gave them the strength to win. The odds seriously were stacked against the American army from the beginning and so the fact that they won the war makes it that much more inspiring.

This book was just about the first year of the war, but the revolution lasted over 7 years and cost over 25,000 American lives (that was news to me).

It was absolutely humbling to read this book, and makes me wonder if have cultivated the same conviction for freedom and if I am doing what I can to keep us free. I am grateful for the sacrifice of those that came before us.

So, If you want to feel patriotic, read this book. It is a good one.

9 comments:

Tony said...

We love peeking in at your blog now and again, especially seeing that darling 1-year-old daughter! She's beautiful and is so alert/smart. Your new house looks lovely. How blessed you are! We also loved reading "1776." It's amazing you have time to read. Love from the CMM missionaries, Tony and Judy Gundersen

Brenna said...

Wow, Thanks Melynn! This sounds like a book I should read!

Scarlett said...

I've seen the musical 1776. I'm assuming it's the same story? I loved the musical, so I bet I would love the book as well. Especially after your review of it!

Shannon said...

I read this book last summer and you've described my feelings regarding it perfectly! I, too, was amazed at all that transpired in merely the first year of the war and that it would take another six before victory was declared. McCullough is an accurate and detailed writer, but he is also fascinating and makes the history come to life. Thanks for posting this!

Merilee said...

I am going to rent this from the library. Thanks for sharing!

RussNatEvans said...

Russ and I are listening to the book on cd's. We are about half way through. We love it. McCullough is also one of our favorite authors as well. He actually spoke at Russ' graduation. I love what you wrote about it. Cant wait to finish it!

RussNatEvans said...

Russ and I are listening to the book on cd's. We are about half way through. We love it. McCullough is also one of our favorite authors as well. He actually spoke at Russ' graduation. I love what you wrote about it. Cant wait to finish it!

RussNatEvans said...

Weird, dont know why that posted twice...sorry

Katrina said...

I loved the book too! That was a great review. The Revolutionary War was nothing short of a series of miracles...