March 21, 2008

Spring Fever and Running Strollers

Can you believe how absolutely beautiful it is outside? I am having the hardest time sitting at my desk right now. I have been taking walks during lunch this past week just to get out and be in the sun. Maybe I will leave work early today and go to the park or something.
I am so anxious to go camping or hiking. Spence has been swamped with school work, work, and preparing for the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering Test, which he has to take to be a certified engineer or something). This means we have been spending a lot of time doing homework. It has been fun for me to be able to help him with some of his GE classes like history. I am no good at modern steel design, but I was able to get him 100% on his online history assignment that I did for him last night. As much fun as homework is, we would rather be camping.
Since it is warming up, I am getting so excited for one thing in particular. It's funny, I have looked forward to this one thing for a long time. My trainer on my mission always said that she was going to buy this thing for me when I had a baby because she knew how excited I was to have it (I think she will change her mind when she sees that it isn't $20, and yes, the beginning of my mission was like 5 years ago. I have been looking forward to this for a long time.) Here it is, the item that I have been looking forward to for years is a running stroller.
You may think this is a bit nuts, so how can I explain? Have you ever known anyone who gets excited to have really cool gear? For example, Spence and I bought a four season tent last year for Christmas and he told everyone, that he could get to listen, about how this tent could withstand intense wind and blah blah blah, and though he rarely mentions his excitement about his hiking boots (Mom, this really was the best present that he got this Christmas...thanks again!!!) to anyone other than me or Russ, he secretly is obsessed with the fact that no water can get through those babies (I actually think it is adorable that Spence gets so excited about things like hiking boots). Or maybe Katie would understand that it is the same feeling that she got when she bought that really cute pair of jeans that fit just perfectly.
I showed my co-worker Malina this stroller, and she didn't understand why I would want this particular stroller until I explained a few things. First, I hope to be able to run often with little Maddi. B.O.B. is a great brand that is known for being incredibly durable. It is very light weight, and though I have never actually gone running with a stroller I assume that every pound counts. Also, this thing has shocks, which would make a very comfortable ride for Maddi. There are a bunch of reasons why the thought of getting this stroller makes me happy, but I will spare you the time and just say that I think it is really cool.
Do I really want this stroller? Yes! But I am totally open to suggestions and would love to know if you guys know of any other good brands. I also would rather not spend a bunch of money if it can be avoided (Linds, you mentioned that I should check out your stroller. I'll call you next time I am in the neighborhood.)

16 comments:

Ginnie said...

Is anything really too expensive for your sweet unborn child?! I don't think so...

As for your beautiful weather you've been enjoying, I'll be able to enjoy that soon enough too!

Jessica said...

I am obsessed with strollers,( I currently own 4) so I understand completely. I think the money is worth it. The only thing I would consider is how close do you want your children, and would you rather hold out to get a really nice double stroller. If it were me I would get both, but then again I am crazy.

kbankids said...

Hey lyns-
it's a great thing to have. Like the comment before though you may want to consider a double. I just bought one last year and have used it more than anything. Also chariot brand is awesome and some of the best for more variety of activities since you and spencer are so outdoorsy. unless your heart is set on this one hold out for the baby shower and maybe we can pull something off!!
love ya

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

Hey Melynn...I have that exact stroller (BOB REvolution) and I absolutely love it. I haven't been able to run with it yet..still have a few weeks until I'm able to, but it is seriously a dream...the cadillac of strollers. My only tiny complaint with it is I still haven't gotten the hang of folding it up yet, but I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

BAWC said...

melynn-
murphy is a freak about running (like 20 miles a day, no joke) and she loves her BOB stroller. it is probably worth the investment. my running stroller is a cheese ball from babies r us, but i do like that it has a car seat that you can strap them into when they are small and then it converts to a front sitting stroller when they are bigger.

ty and megs said...

oh to be as excited about a jogger as you melynn! i got one for free last year and i used it...twice. i swear i stopped using it because i got it in the fall right when it started to get freezing and poor little mckinlay was making her freezing-sucking-in-air face when i'd take her out in it. so i couldn't subject her to the elements any longer. i will use it again as soon as it is nice enough, but, alas, i'm not looking forward to it like you. :)

kate said...

oh stink, you can't possibly be that far along you skinny. you're making the rest of us look bad. j/k i am so excited for you! thanks for saying hi! we just went ahead and bought a double jogger first thing and we're glad, cuz sis was not far behind baby #1. we got a dreamer design and it has an amazing warranty. they just sent us a new front wheel no ??'s asked when i wore ours out pushing through the mud up here. you can check em out at dreamerdesign.net. i'm sure you'll love whatever you get! keep keepin in touch!

Emilie said...

Melynn!! You are so cute pregnant! Glad I "found" you on Lis's blog. I miss the days of you running out of the kitchen in song and dance...those were the days.

So I don't jog, I just walk and use my little Graco stroller...I guess I can't be much help. Good to "see" you...check us out at bencoxfamily.blogspot.com

Aleena said...

Oh how I love Jogging strollers! One thing I have learned about strollers is not to get the least expensive, you must research it and if it is out of your budget, save up! It is worth it! You are darling and it was so good to see you and spence. You are seriously one of the cutest pregnant ladies I have ever seen!!!!

krista said...

I agree with everyone else. Save up and buy the one you want, especially if you think you'll use it a ton!

Brenna said...

Hi Melynn! I don't know if you remember me from Alta...? You have a very cute blog and CONGRATULATIONS on being preggers. I definitely love getting great stuff; and great fitness stuff always helps you stay motivated!

Erin said...

I dream of the BOB. I am in that process of figuring out which one to get, but's that the ultimate that I would totally love! Oh the joys of being a med student.

Teacher Mama said...

I think all wives should have their name written in small print under their husbands on their diploma.

Emilie said...

Okay, so really off the subject. But I just wanted to tell you that I love your playlist. I left it on all morning...and I think I'll play it again. Great taste. You look fab!

Becky said...

Hi Lynnie,
I understand your obsession about the BOB. I have wanted one for a long time. Every time I go to Sea World or the Zoo I spend all my time looking at all the different strollers. But if you plan on having more than one child, get the double. I found a used single jogger in the pennysaver for $20 and loved it. It was a Bell. It didn't have bells and whistles, but it worked great, folded so small and was so light weight that I stopped using my other stroller all together. $20 was a great investment for the year and a half that I used it before needing the double. Shel, Jen, and my mom just got me a double for my birthday. It's an InStep and it's great. (But if you're going to be doing some serious off roading in it you may want the shocks in the BOB. I just go walking with a stroller walking group, go to the beach, and Sea World with it.) The Phil and Ted's is also good because it can be either a single or a double, but it is very difficult to shade the child in the back, just something to consider. Have fun shopping! Becky