September 17, 2009

Putting Down Roots

I just read one of my younger friends blogs. She is in college. Her freshman roommates are going their separate ways which leaves her with some adjusting to do.

I was reminded of my time in college. It was so much fun in so many ways. There were a lot of freedoms that I had then that I don't have now, but there was an instability in that phase of my life that I didn't recognize until I was out of it. I moved frequently in college. I had many new roommates. The best semesters were when I was living with friends, but that only lasted a semester or two. I went on a mission and came home and felt like there was NO ONE around. I remember feeling lonely. I lived in an old house with three other girls that I didn't know. My friends were married, serving their own missions, living in Salt Lake (I was in Provo) or just busy with other things. Like I said, I really enjoyed college for the most part, but I didn't know what I was missing.

As you know, we recently bought our first home. We could live in this house for a long time, and it seems that consciously and subconsciously I recognize this. I have made more friends and been more involved with the ward than I ever was in our most recent ward (that does have a little to do with the fact that I have more time on my hands because I'm not working). I think about how many kids we will have and which rooms they will share.I think about my kids going to elementary, middle and high school out here. I think about celebrating holidays in our home and about ways that I can make them more meaningful. I think about local politics and what I can do to contribute. It is a good feeling to feel like I am in a place to stay. I will always have my husband as my roommate, and I really look forward to this. I think that eternal marriage is a fantastic part of the Plan of Salvation. Its exciting to think about.

In short, I am putting roots down, and it is a good feeling. I am really loving this phase of my life.

6 comments:

Brenna said...

Aaah, roots... How I wish I had some! We've been in the same place for 2 years and that seems like such a long time compared to all of the moving in college. But I can't wait to really settle some place! I love that you get to plan holidays and which rooms your kids will share and what schools they'll go to! Cozy!

Brenna said...

P.S. I love the new pictures on your side bar! You all look great!

Britt said...

I love this post. I confess that it made me cry. I can't wait for that and I'm sure it'll be here before I know it. Putting down roots must be a good feeling and I can't think of two other people who deserve it more than you and Spence. Love you guys.

Katie said...

That is awesome Melynn.It was fun to see you and your family in your beautiful house!

Erin said...

Well said Melynn, although we did have quite a bit of fun living together.

I feel the same way though. There is so much more stability and security in our new way of living. Of course there are new and different challenges, but I quite enjoy feeling settled.

Anne H said...

You're my favorite person ever!