November 6, 2008

A Great Seasonal Recipe

Homemade Caramel

We made caramel apples for Halloween and they turned out really good because of the homemade caramel. The recipe is so delicious and so easy, so I thought I would share.

Here you go:

1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. White sugar
1/2 C. Brown sugar
1/2 C. Corn syrup
1/2 C. Sweetened condensed milk

Melt all of the ingredients together in the microwave for 5 minutes. Take the bowl out and stir ingredients together, and then return to the microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir and pour into a buttered 8x8 pan (or dip your apples in it if you would like). Allow to cool. Cut into bite size caramels and wrap in wax paper.

I made this recipe two different times in two different microwaves. In one microwave the caramel turned out to be over cooked,but in the other it was just right. You may need to adjust the time to fit your microwave.

You can all thank grandma Stephenson for the recipe. Enjoy!

7 comments:

ty and megs said...

yum. thanks! madelyn looks so grown up in your new picture! i can't wait to see her at christmas!!

Linds said...

The first time I made it I couldn't get it to stay on the apples but I ran out of time to see if cooling it down would help. I made it again last night and put it over popcorn, a smash bang hit!!!

krista said...

That seems much too easy. My caramel recipe takes an enormous amount of time, so I for sure have to try these out! thanks!

Natalie said...

I'm excited to try it! Nothing better then caramel apples! Thanks!!

Shannon said...

Hey Melynn!

I will definitely have to try this; caramel is one of my faves.

Yes, Hotch is Josh--it's his family nickname given to him by our nephew-Janell's little boy- Derrick. He calls him Hotch instead of Josh and it has just stuck. I guess I should probably explain that on my blog:). And, I know. He has grown up to be quite the young man. We love that kid.

Little Madelynn is adorable. I love those blue eyes; I'm sure you are having so much fun with her!

Shiara said...

I like that it's microwaved and I don't need a thermometer! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I am going to try it!

Becky said...

Wow, Melynn,

You are such the homemaker, following in your sisters' footsteps. You make my heart swell with joy!

yo' momma