November 30, 2008

Humble Pie Anyone?


The other day Spence was changing Maddi's diaper. After he pulled out the dirty and before putting in the new she peed on her clothes. I kindly pointed out that if he had done it "correctly", that is, if he had put down the clean diaper before he pulled out the dirty diaper, then we wouldn't have a mess to clean up.

That evening while changing Madelyn I did everything "correctly" and Madelyn still managed to pee on her clothes two separate times, causing me to change her outfit both times. After it happened a second time, I felt like God was saying, "doesn't really matter whether you put down a diaper first or not, does it." I had to laugh.

Last night I had just put Madelyn down to sleep, and since she has a cold it took her a while to fall asleep (poor kid is so congested). I walked into our bedroom to see Spencer sitting on the bed with his guitar in hand. I said, "please don't wake Madelyn up." He just smiled at me as if to say, "do you really think I am that dumb." I then went to the kitchen to flip on the bay window light that we use as a night light. Instead I flipped on the very loud garbage disposal. I quickly flipped it off, turned on the light and went back to our bedroom. Once again, Spencer just smiled at me as if to say, "who do we need to worry about waking Madelyn up now?"

It seems that lately I have been eating a lot of humble pie. I have more than I can eat. Does anyone want a piece?

5 comments:

BAWC said...

so true. i feel like blair just puts up with stuff like that from me all of the time. we are lucky that they are so patient and sweet!

Becky said...

You're great! I just laughed and laughed - brought back memories of so many of our heart-2-heart philosophical talks :). Pass me a fork.

Love, Mom

Brenna said...

Oh man... That happens to me all the time... Of course, when I"m right and Ethan's wrong, I rub it in his face. But he never does! I sure do have a lot to learn from these guys.

Natalie said...

I have definately eaten my fair share of humble pie but for some reason, I never learn, and I have another piece in front of me before I know it.

Britt said...

i enjoyed this post a lot. I think it's because I know Spence so well and totally know what face you're talking about, you know, the "do you really think I'm that stupid" face. Oh you guys. I love you!